Yeah, we know that you are stressed right now about the IELTS! We know that you are unsure of where to start from. And we also know that IELTS and its preparation can get overwhelming sometimes, but we got your back with the best IELTS books.
We got you covered with the top 10 books that will help you kickstart your IELTS preparation. The more solid the prepping is, the more chances to score extraordinary. Books are a conventional way to study, but they are unlike what online space is.
The information in the books are curated and does help you with a good flow. Most of them provide a few sample papers, so you get that initial idea of how the exam will be. Whereas online space is a little confusing, and that’s when you stress more about your start. Now let’s dive right into the books and know what’s so good about them.
Best Books for IELTS Preparation
1. The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS
This book is best for both the IELTS General Training Reading and IELTS Academic.
If you are looking for a book, to begin with, this is the one you should go for. The book provides a wide range of pointers, suggestions, and hints to do well in the exam. These hints are straight from the people who cleared the course with splendid scores. Nothing is perfect than a personal experience, so, definitely a must-try.
Things you would love about the book:
- As mentioned earlier, the experience of the experienced is the book’s base, that’s no. 1.
- It covers all the sections of the IELTS exam, so haywire.
- It has an easy to implement the strategy that’s most probably what every student wants.
- It has eight full-length practice or sample papers with detailed answers.
- Also, it has a DVD to help you with the listening and speaking tests.
2. Barron’s IELTS Superpack
It’s one of those always in the buzz books you can quickly get yourself from an online store like Amazon. The book is filled with tips and techniques, a plus for this book and people preparing to master the English language proficiency.
First things first, it’s an excellent book for both professionals and academic wise. Its comprehensive IELTS preparation pack is ideal for IELTS general because it has everything to help you attain a good score.
Things we think you would love in this book:
- It’s super detailed and comprehensive.
- It comes with 2 CDs (audio basically) and some online tracks just if you are not in a mood to read but can spare time to listen.
- The book’s information is worth the time and money, so feel confident when you give it a try.
3. Simone Braverman’s Target Band 7
It’s another significant book for the ones who are after scoring great numbers in the IELTS exam.
Again it is written by a person who has already taken the exam and passed with flying colors If you aim for the same, shop this one without a doubt. Straight to the point strategies that are easily implementable and executable for IELTS general preparation. These tips ought to provide you solutions for the trouble you usually encounter while you prepare.
Things we like the most from the book:
- It has got the less time more effective preparation approach, which is what you need the most to pass this exam. (good one!)
- Very clear and to the point information that is easy to understand by the majority of the students.
- And of course, it is written by someone who has taken the same road sometime in the past.
4. IELTS Practice Tests Plus 2 with Key and CD Pack
It’s an exceptional one to help you achieve a tremendous score in IELTS through self-study. It’s suitable for both General Training and IELTS Academic.
A great source of practice papers because it comes with four tests with focus oriented strategies and tips. Also, it has some useful audio scripts that come in handy wherever you go. And by the time you finish the read, you would already know what makes a correct and incorrect answer.
What’s more likable of this book:
- You get more insights on simple strategies that will help you maximize the score.
- Annotations and clear explanations in the sample answers.
- Easy task-solving solutions. (so, you can go on the problem-solving side with full speed and efficiency)
- Suitable for people who feel the time is a significant constraint. (you’ll find so many reviews clapping for this ability of the book)
5. Cambridge IELTS 15 Academic Student’s Book with Answers
Famous for their authenticity, Cambridge IELTS 15 Academic Student’s Book can give a rough idea of what you can in the question paper. This well-known series is more focused on IELTS Academic. It has up-to-date study material, which comes with 4 test papers along with the answers.
What’s so cool about the book:
- A detailed explanation to every given answer, so you’ll have no further doubts or confusion.
- Again, a lot of details of every information (in contrary not an ideal one for the beginners)
- Invaluable tips and techniques so you don’t miss any chance to score more.
6. Road to IELTS
It’s a 100% interactive course available online (with practice papers, exercises, tutorial videos, and more). It means it’s not a technical book primarily. It would cost you $50 (a rough value) to avail of their full version (9 test papers and 300 activities). But, if you register through the British Council, you are sure to get access to their free practice papers, videos, and exercises.
Here is what makes it so wow:
- It’s so interactive, which means you get more practical learning exposure.
- You get access to some of their excellent practice exams!
- Also, lots and lots of free features apart from their full paid version. (but the only problem is you only get it for 90 days even after spending so much)
- Works well for classroom-type preparation and self-study.
7. IELTS Trainer
If you are keenly looking for a book that potentially can carry you alone throughout the IELTS journey? This book is a gold mine for Academic IELTS. With six tests modules and step by step advice on the first two papers, this book can pretty much be everything that you are looking for.
Some positives on the book:
- It contains some audio CDs for improving your listening.
- Thorough answers and tips on how to answer are given.
- Good samples on the writing, speaking, and listening tasks. (although it does much focus on grammar)
- Points out the mistakes a candidate can potentially make in the exam.
- Thoughtful strategies with step-by-step guidance on how to answer different types of questions.
8. Mometrix IELTS Book for General Training and Academic 2021 – 2022
Like the above books from our top 10 lists, this book also offers good test papers, video tutorials, tips, and techniques. It’s an outstanding book with critical information if you are dedicatedly looking to pass the exam.
What we liked about the book:
- It amazingly covers all the main areas of the IELTS. (Listening, writing, reading and speaking)
- Their step by step video tutorials can help master even the problematic topic.
- Practice papers with well-explained answers.
- A thorough review of the IELTS test sections.
- Very inexpensive.
9. Check Your English Vocabulary for IELTS
Absolutely good if you want to improve your vocabulary (specific to your IELTS exam). And people who are planning to study in an English speaking university. It’s, in fact, a perfect one. It contains the right essential words and phrases to help them rank top in the IELTS exam. Students from the intermediate level and above can comfortably refer to this book.
- Definitely ideal for both IELTS Academic and General.
- Good range of vocabulary (meaning you should find other sources for a complete preparation).
10. Focus on IELTS Foundation: Foundation Coursebook
It’s is a wonderful book to enhance your language and skills and ultimately get a striking score in the IELTS exam. However, it doesn’t focus on other areas of the exam, so, very certainly, you will have to find other sources for that.
What’s interesting about the book:
- There comes a CD for your convenient reference.
- You can use this book for language reference for requirements outside of IELTS.
In the end, we only have one thing to say, start, start your preparations as early as now and do it with confidence, not with self-doubts. For which referring to good books is a must, and in fact, books are great, they never go out of style even in the presence of rich tech. When preparing for any exam, the key is mindfulness. The presence of a good book can give you immense power.
The Internet is great, but it has many inevitable distractions, something as serious as IELTS. We hope the books we recommended works for you in your preparations. We’ll keep posting in and around study abroad and more. Make sure you stay in touch. If you’re looking for a better way to study abroad, something non-complex, non-exhausting, and straightforward, sign up for University HUB now and check your best options.